Monday 2 June 2008

Hammer Time


Yesterday I got a call from one of my teammates - calling me from mile 21 of the Rock n' Roll Marathon... for encouragement.  I was on the sofa, sitting on an ice pack.  But man, when she called, something happened to me.  

She has the same type of injury that I do.  She is 51 years old, but thin, unlike me.  Her mother died about 6 months ago.  In other words, she hasn't trained.  She started the race intending to run 3 or 4 miles, but just kept going.  And I watched the live results page online and saw that she finished in 6 and a half hours!  (take THAT, Rory Gilfillan!!)

Well, I figured if she could pull 26.2 miles out of her untrained body, surely I can run 13.1 in Anchorage.  So, that is what I am going to do.

I ran 3 miles this morning.  I bought another ice pack so that I can sit on one at work AND at home!  I have been taking my massive dosages of ibuprofen as prescribed.  I have been stretching religiously.  Taking my muscle relaxers at night.  Working on it...  I think I can do this.  

I just have to.  I can stand another 3 weeks of pain.  What's another three weeks?  Nothing! Ha!  I am so happy!

8 comments:

Wes said...

You go girl!

Jess said...

Yes, you can do it!

E said...

You can do it! You can do it!

Unknown said...

You CAN do it!!

I happen to have flown out of San Diego when the RnR marathon was happening and saw it from the plane. Pretty cool!!!

Kevin said...

You can do it. Just keep doing what you are doing witht the icing and stretching and you will do it

Marathoner in Training said...

You will do just fine, I know you can do it. Keep you spirits high. If I can finish the RNR SD marathon you can easily do the 1/2 in Alasks. You rock.

J~Mom said...

Isn't it amazing how certain things make it all click for us! You can do it!!

Adam said...

Keep it up, you can do it. Cool looking at live results.