Sunday 17 August 2008

No Races in Sight...

That is a self-portrait I took while waiting to start the Anchorage half-marathon .  It was so cold and pouring rain.  I had this on my phone and forgot all about it until a day or so ago while I was going through the pics on my phone and ran into this one...

I am having a hard time staying motivated.  Once you get in the habit of having a huge race/challenge ahead, it is hard to get out and run a measly 3 miles with no big goal in mind.  I thought perhaps running shorter distances on a frequent basis would be a good thing to do.  So that is what I am trying to do.

I have had a bit of set back in that my back is hurting.  I went to the doc 2 weeks ago and had a CT scan last week.  I should find out tomorrow what the result of that is.  I had an ACDF (Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion of C5-6, and C6-7) in 1999 and my doc was afraid that I did something to all the stuff in my neck - and that they would have to "go back in" and get it fixed.  Oh my.  I SO don't want anyone going back "into" my cervical spine.  

So I am still running.  I really want to run the Boulder Back Roads (half) marathon on Sept. 21 - but I better find out what is going on with my back.

Oh, and on the weight loss front... I am down 6.6 lbs.  That may not sound like a lot to anyone but me, but I know my body and 6.6 is a lot for me to lose.  I am a slow loser!  I feel like I am on a good slow steady progression.  And after watching the Olympic Marathon last night, I realized that I would rather look like a runner than a shotput!

11 comments:

Adam said...

6.6 pounds is great.

Jess said...

6.6 lbs is a great loss! Nicely done.

I know what you mean about lacking motivation when you don't have a race, but at least you're still getting out there some! Keep it up.

Marcy said...

Mary 6.6 pounds is freeking AWESOME!! WHOOT!

Wes said...

Good stuff on the weight loss! I'm like you. I'm not sure how I am going to behave without a plan and a purpose! but sometimes, I just like to run, no time, no distance, no concern about pace. Give'er a go :-)

E said...

Amazing job on the 6.6 pounds!!

Doris said...

LOLOL... yes with you on the shot-putter vs runner.... Where did you lose the 6.6?.. I think I found it :o(

Joe said...

What a hilarious photo!!! Thanks for sharing...I got chilly just looking at it!!

Yeah, find some target...shorter distances, a little more speed...that can work too!!

Unknown said...

You look all wrapped up in saran wrap in that picture. :)

Great job with the weight loss.

J~Mom said...

Cute picture!!

I vote for PF Chang's in Jan! That would keep you moving forward. :>)

Marathoner in Training said...

Great job on the weight loss. Will keep your back in my prayers.

Unknown said...

I ran a HALF MARATHON in 108 mins (1992)

Do you believe that JESUS CHRIST, died on a cross, for your sins, Mary?

I, PATRICK, AM THE HOLY ONE OF GOD.