After I wrote on Tuesday, I thought I just have to force myself to work out whether I want to or not. I dragged my good bike to the bike store to get a few things done to it, and then hopped on and went to the lake. I took my first open water swim of the season. Heck, it was my first swim of any kind since last year's triathlon. Then I hopped back on the bike and went home.
On Saturday, I tried to run for the first time since the June 21 half marathon. This morning after church, I took a 10 mile bike ride and a half hour open water swim. I think the swim was approximately 750 meters, but no one seems to know what the actual length of the swim lane at the lake is.
I think I have some decisions to make.
1. me + distance running does not = a fit Mary. Really. It just doesn't.
2. If I want to run faster, I am going to have to run shorter.
3. I can do that seriously on the treadmill... Oh NO! Not the Treadmill!!!
4. I really could walk as fast as I am running right now, and I would actually enjoy that.
5. I can swim and bike and actually enjoy that.
6. Maybe I can focus on the bike and swim training for my tri and let the chips fall where they may for the run portion.
I could go back to what I was doing before I got bitten by the half marathon bug. I was running about 40 or 50 miles a month and felt fantastic! I was fit and much, much slimmer than I am now. I have done nothing but gain weight since I started distance running.
What to do?