Sunday, 16 March 2008

Alaska Stuff


In case you didn't read yesterday, I actually had a successful 10 mile run. I am still flying high on that one!

Yesterday I spoke with my nephew in Alaska. We discussed my plans for my trip.

Oh dear. I am so excited. I have booked my flights based on my nephew's recommendation that I stay longer than I had intended... I am, after all, staying at his house! I wanted his permission to stay longer than a weekend.

So, I am getting to Anchorage on Thursday night. Then we will go to the race expo on Friday. Saturday is the race. Mary Gee's first marathon!!!! woo hoo!!! The next day I am hopping on a train to go to Denali. I will stay at Denali National Park for 2 nights and then take the train back to Anchorage.

My nephew wants to go on a fishing charter! How cool is that! So I will have some time to spend in Anchorage because I won't be leaving until the next Monday.

I write this to confirm it in my mind. I was talking with a friend (well, actually a former boyfriend) and he said I shouldn't go. He said I should stop running because it isn't good for me and going to Alaska is just expensive and isn't going to "make you happy." What the hell does that mean?

I spoke with two of my children after this conversation and they both agreed that going to Alaska is one of my better ideas! So, I will just try to put the f.b.f.'s opinion out of my mind... there is, after all, a reason he is a FORMER b.f.!

10 comments:

Running Knitter said...

Don't listen to the former bf. Running is not bad for you and if I had the opportunity, I would run a marathon in Alaska too!

Wes said...

Sounds like f.b.f. is a bundle of negativity. Yea, kick him to the curb and hang out with us positive people!!!

Great plans! I know you are going to have a blast!

J~Mom said...

Get rid of him for sure!! This is a fantastic idea! If you think the 10 mile high is great I can't wait to hear about 26.2!!

Câmera Digital said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Câmera Digital, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://camera-fotografica-digital.blogspot.com. A hug.

Jess said...

That sounds awesome! I like it when races are on saturday instead of Sunday, but it seems like few bigger races are.

Sue said...

Sounds like a very jealous ex-boyfriend!

Lisa - Slow & Steady said...

WooHooo. Alaska, here you come!!

I think running in Alaska is a grand idea and I'm glad you are thinking about the other touristy things you're going to do while you are there.

Michelle said...

Geesh, what the hell would a FORMER boyfriend know, anyway?

I'm glad you're dedicated to this marathon! You need to surround yourself with cheerleaders, not stupid non-runner ex-bfs who don't "get it." I am cheering you on!!!! You can totally do it!

And it sounds like you'll have a kick-ass vacation to boot!

Marathoner in Training said...

He is yesturdays news, ignore what he said. You are doing great and Alaska will be great.

Fenridal said...

See here or here