Monday 20 August 2007

189 runs; 743.52 miles

Since I got my nike + iPod approximately a year ago. Of course, I later discovered that these data are not exactly accurate - however, it is kinda close.

Last night, while driving to and fro Colorado Springs with my son (who is home!!!) we talked a great deal about running. He had a knee injury while in Iraq, but hopes to be able to run again soon. He ran his first race when he was 12 years old. It was the Bolder Boulder. After about a mile, he kept saying "come on Mom!" and I finally told him to go on without me, and I would find him (in a race of about 30,000 at that time) at the finish line. Amazingly enough, I did find him. We ran a few more races together over the years. I am glad he likes to run... I am glad we share this thing. Right now I can't imagine getting your 12 year old to compete in a kind of hard 10K race, but I did and I guess I am glad I did!

Today is a rest day and I am glad. I think doing 6 miles on Saturday and 5 on Sunday was kind of a bit much... I have not been doing any long distances at all since the half-marathon in May. I will work back up to them and I am greatly looking forward to it. I really love slow long distance running.

6 comments:

Marcy said...

That's so cute Mary!! I hope I can share the same kind of experience with my girls when they get older :-)

Marathoner in Training said...

Enjoy your time together. How are your new shoes working out. Did you get them?

J~Mom said...

That sounds so nice to be able to run with your son! 189 runs...awesome!!

Michelle said...

I'm so glad you're enjoying the time with your son! Yay!!

That is neat he loves to run, too. My daughter also loves running, and she is only 3 1/2. She doesn't go on any formal runs or anything, but when we go to the park she'll run all over the place and say she's "doing a race like Mommy." LOL! And she's always saying she'll race with me someday. I'm sure she will, and she'll probably kick my butt!!

And way to go on all the mileage!! Wow!! My goal for the year was 400 miles, but I think I might have to bump it up a little or else I'll meet that goal well before Dec. 31.

Unknown said...

That's such a wonderful thing to be able to share with your son. I can only hope that when they are old enough, I'll be able to go running with my boys.

Unknown said...

I've had my son run a few 5Ks with me and it was AWESOME. Can't get my daughter to run, though.

I believe we should recognize those times as special blessings.