Wednesday 8 August 2007

My boy's 31st Birthday

This time next week, he should be back in the United States of America. I should actually be able to see and touch and talk to my son within the next week! Today is his birthday, the second one since he left for Iraq last July. We shall have a celebration to end all celebrations when he gets back!

I just took a lovely 5K run. It is a cool morning, and it felt great to just go out and run. I am actually beginning my training for my next half-marathon (October 14), but for right now, I feel like I am just going out and running for the love of it, and that is a good thing.

I have to get new shoes within the next month, and when I went to the running store last weekend, I didn't see "my shoes" anymore. I found a shoe I love in the Brooks Trance 6. But now they are on to the Trance 7 - which is a super cool space ship looking shoe - silver and blue. I will try them on and take them for a spin on the treadmill at the store and let the wonderful folks at Boulder Running Company tell me if they work for me.

I really appreciate all the feedback on the Survivors' Table at the race. I felt like I was being a jerk, but it is heartening to see that others feel the same way. I will definitely give them my feedback and actually at this moment, I think I won't do this race next year. You pay $80., raise money for a good cause, train and train, finish the race, and then you are greeted with snarly people and after you walk by the good food that you don't qualify to eat, you finally find some green bananas and plain bagels. No thanks. I really like the post race festivities, that is part of the whole deal for me. After an event that takes 2 hours, I really NEED to eat something and rehydrate and stop sweating at least. I may change my mind about this....

The pictures from the race are not posted yet. You will see them as soon as I do!

6 comments:

J~Mom said...

Mary I am so happy he is coming home!!! YAY!!! That is so great!! Happy birthday to him! Make sure to tell him thank you for serving from your blogging friends!

Wes said...

Tell him we all said welcome home. He is our hero :-) Good luck figuring out the shoes. I luv Brooks (I have Adrenalines). While its great that the triathlon is for a worthy cause, it really needs to be all about you!

Randy - Maniac #788 said...

Yes, tell your son Happy Birthday from all of us in the blog-world...he's got a very special Mom. He's still in our prayers and he is such a hero to have done what he's done and gone to where he's been stationed....how exciting to finally be able to welcome him home.....

Good luck with your search for shoes....the best of luck in fact...

I agree with Wes...while we often are running for a variety of good/great causes...when it comes race day the race is about us and a worthy race director and volunteers should be willing to acknowledge that good race etitique towards "all" the finishers. You weren't out of line...they were the ones being an ass.

ws said...

That's great that you'll be able to see your son and speak to him in person again...definitely tell him happy birthday and thank you.

good luck with the shoes, I'm stuck in NBs and anxious about making any changes...

Michelle said...

Happy belated birthday to your son!! I agree, please tell him thank you from us!!

That's so wonderful he gets to come home soon!! I bet you're so excited!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your son!
Yes he is an HERO in my heart :)