Sunday 12 August 2007

Today's the day...

I get to see my son for the first time in 1 year, 1 month, and 2 days!!!! I have to tell you, that as happy as I am (and I am VERY happy), there is a bit of uncertainty about who I will meet today. I know that he has to be changed from the experiences of the last year. He has lost friends. He has been under fire. He has been living and working in temperatures of up to 150 degrees! I will just keep my expectations at a minimum and try to be of maximum service to him.

I think the treadmill was a good idea. I went this morning to the gym. It actually was nice. I hate to admit this, but it is true. I don't have to wear my pepper spray and worry about dogs. I can crank up my music and rock out. There is very little danger of being hit by a car, unless it comes crashing through the windows in the front of the gym - well, it COULD happen! And, I can't kid myself about times. So today, these are my times, and they are real.
mile 1 = 11:40
mile 2 = 10:50
mile 3 = 9:54

I feel good about this. As much as I would rather be out in the fresh air enjoying the scenery and nature, I need to get some discipline about my running, and I don't seem to be able to do that right now without a treadmill knowing what my pace is and then making me do that!

5 comments:

Wes said...

Enjoy your son. Let him know how we are all honored by his service...

J~Mom said...

YEAH!!!!!!!! Mary this is a great day!!! I think your expectations are very wise! Give him a hug from all of your running buddies...right after you tell him who we are. ;.)

Smoking job on your run!!

Marcy said...

Ohhhh this is a wonderful day ;D ;D I'm so happy that you'll be able to see him after all this time! How exciting!!!

And look at that last mile!!! WHooooooaaaa you smoked that thing!!

Unknown said...

Great job on the treadmill. It is certainly better than not running.

No matter what, he will still be your son. Nothing will change that.

Adam said...

Great to hear the news about you seeing your son again. I appreciate his service.