Saturday 11 August 2007

New plan

I looked back at a 5K race I did last October and I came in 4th place in the age group of women 50 - 59. I thought I did terrible because the course was really difficult. My average pace was 12:01 per mile. That is real, verifiable information on the race results page. It is not wack-a-doo nike+ info. So what the heck has happened between October and August? I think it was training for a half-marathon.... not that it was bad.

But I stopped using the treadmill and I basically stopped trying to go fast. All I was doing was slow runs. I think I have realized that I have got to get back in the dreaded gym and get on the dreadmill.

So my new plan is: 3 days a week in the gym on the treadmill, going as fast as I can for 3 miles, 4 miles, and 3 miles. On the weekend, I will head out on the road for my wonderful slow, long-distance runs. I will follow the mileage suggestions in one of my books, but for this week, it is 3/4/3/5. I did my five mile yesterday. Tomorrow I will get in the gym to start my week with three miles on the dreadmill.

I also hate to admit this, but I need to add in some strength training. I SO do NOT want to do this. But I think I better. I tend to be very very muscular, so I am thinking maybe I could do pilates instead of weights? Just writing this makes me anxious. I do not want to do this. I started lifting weights in the 70s, I was dang good at it. I used to love it. I got very defined triceps, biceps, quads, and my calves are something that would look more natural on a male weight lifter or wrestler. I know that they say to use light weights and high reps, but I still get all ripped looking and I do not want to look like that! I am a girl for God's sake!
-------------------------------------------------------

I have just worked up quite a sweat fixing my dryer and rearranging my deck furniture (not like on the titanic). I put Christmas lights on some outdoor trees to add a festive touch for my son's homecoming. I will get to see him tomorrow. He will get to come home within a week. Words cannot even begin to convey how this feels.

I don't know why people respond to this news with "is he coming home for good?" What does that mean? For good? Forever? Nothing is forever. If he is in the National Guard, he will probably have to go somewhere again some day. But today I thank God that he is on his way home and that is all I care about.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad he's on his way home. Yay!

I'd love to 'get ripped' but I have this self image of a 98lb weekling to overcome.

They say you need to run fast to get faster. I just can't work on going longer and getting faster and working towards three disciplines all at once. It's tricky!! Good luck with that!!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your son !

J~Mom said...

I know what you mean about the long slow runs...I sure love them. :>) Good luck with the strength training!

Randy - Maniac #788 said...

I can feel the excitement about your son coming home....I'll be thinking of the two of you as I fly thru Denver tomorrow on my way to Grand Junction.

You have given me an idea for trying to add to my 5k speed...working on the treadmill to up my times some...thanks.

Good luck on your training...keep us posted on how it is going for you...

HAVE FUN tomorrow!!!!!

ws said...

I feel your pain when it comes to strength training. I'm sure people walking behind me think I look like a high school wrestler because of the size of my calf muscles. "Wack-a-doo nike+ info" ha! Speedwork intervals and tempo runs are definitely the way to go, but you can do them outdoors instead of on the treadmill if you really don't want to be stuck inside.

have a great day with your son TODAY!

Debbi said...

I could not be happier for you at the prospect of the reunion with your son. Enjoy! And thank him for his service from all of us who have been cheering you on!